- Did you move?
- Did you sell any major assets?
- Did you refinance your house?
- Did you change jobs?
- Did you “add to the family”?
- Have a parent in need of assisted care?
- Did you receive a gift or inheritance?
- Confirm investment goals and strategy.
- Review asset allocation and risk tolerance.
- Revisit income or savings needs.
- Review outstanding loans and mortgages.
- Review dividend distributions.
- Review employee stock plans.
- Project income for 2017 and 2018.
- Review YTD dividends & capital gains.
- Review unrealized gains/losses.
- Check loss carry-forwards from last year.
- Review potential deductions and credits.
- Track donations to charity (stock donations).
- Review any gifting plans.
- Review retirement cash flow needs.
- Max out 401k contributions (before-tax).
- Max out 401k contributions (after-tax).
- Max out IRA contributions (& spouse).
- Analyze Roth IRA conversion opportunities.
- Take Required Minimum Distributions.
- Consider Social Security claiming options.
- Review costs of current insurance policies.
- Umbrella insurance policies.
- Review health insurance coverage.
- Spend balances in Flexible Spending Acct.
- Review Long-Term Care insurance needs.
- Review Medicare enrollment options.
6) FAMILY / GIFTING
- Contribute to education accounts.
- Review and fund trusts.
- Make any cash gifts to family members.
- Consider Roth IRA for kids & grandkids.
- Plan charitable contributions.
NOTES AND NEXT STEPS: